WorldMachine pipeline

Level design, models, animations, physics, etc.
25 posts Page 2 of 3
Duion

by Duion » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:44 pm
First you should try to apply the splat map correctly, sometimes it needs to be flipped, since Torque handels some things differently, then you can see what the other issues are.
The resolution depends on the size of the terrain, if your terrain is 2048x2048 x1 then 2048x2048 basemap is fine.
The ugly spots you can smooth out with the torque smooth tool.
saindd
by saindd » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:38 pm
The bigger brush doesn't help either, the large triangles just get smaller and detail is lost in the process. I guess WorldMachine isn't doing a good job for T3D as it was for more modern engines, like UDK. Do you guys recommend any other application, capable of generating good terrain for T3D?
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:32 pm
Just for a point of reference, can you put up some screens of what the World Machine terrain you're trying to bring in looks like in WM itself?

It'd give us a better idea of the parts that aren't translating properly.
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:42 pm
Just to be clear, T3D is just as capable of importing World Machine terrains as UE4 and the like :P

You still haven't shown a screenshot of the issue so tbh, I'm still not quite sure what the issue actually is, which makes it hard to help you solve it. the smooth tool, smooths out the terrain i.e. it sort of flattens it without removing the slopes right away. So yeah detail will be lost in the progress, but exactly what detail is it you don't want to lose? What you want to do is to remove spikes etc right? So you need to smooth the spike, such that it looks more natural, so you use the smooth and a suitable brush to flatten it.
Alternatively you could use a "lower height" brush with 1 vert radius and use that to manually adjust the detail, this is pretty tedious however and doesn't always provide better results, so the smooth tool is the "shortcut".

World Machine is one of the 2 solutions people use (outside L3DT which I personally believes uses inferior algorithms, and provides worse looking, but playable, terrains. Many uses World Machine, I personally use World Creator.
saindd
by saindd » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:59 pm
Check the screenshot that i posted. You can see the triangles in the terrain, as if the smoothing groups were off. Also, some terrain edges are very hard, with the triangles showing a lot.

I'll create the same terrain in another engine and see if it can be a problem with the source heightmap.
saindd
by saindd » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 pm
Yeah, the problem only happens in Torque. I have tried Unity and Unreal and there are no "strange triangles" in the terrain. I'm almost sure this is a resolution problem. Maybe the terrain computing a wrong LOD for the current camera?
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:31 pm
For Torque 3D I would really recommend L3DT + T3D world editor terrain sculpting tools to finish and perfecting the results. Especially the tools smooth, smooth slope and grab terrain are all real handy to use.

I kind of tried out Wold Machine but I find the results to be too realistic to be good gaming terrain.
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:18 am
One of the ways to increase density in the terrain is to open terrCell.cpp and modify the value smTriCount. Line 48 is where the value is calculated

const U32 TerrCell::smTriCount = TerrCell::smPBSize / 6;

I may have modified this value but thats what it says on mine. if you decrease it to say / 2 it will result in more triangles in the overall terrain mesh. Be advised though this may cause spikes in performance and also if u have a terrain already made export the heightmap before changing this value as when u load up a terrain that has already been changed it will be glitchy as hell
rlranft

by rlranft » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:26 pm
Looking at your image I'd say your data is bumpy. This is a data issue - T3D, like any other engine, pulls in your heightmap data faithfully. Try it with UE4 or CryEngine or whatever - you'll get the same results. You'll need to look at fine-tuning your WorldMachine project a little, I think. If we're lucky, one of the WorldMachine gurus here will chime in....

Looks like a very nice tool to me - you can get amazing results.

Here is Dan's Pocket Guide to T3D Terrain - and I he's linked to the sample output that he used on his site.

Edit: Looks like his site is down.... sad day.
saindd
by saindd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:25 pm
I did try on UE4 and Unity, i didn't had those issues. :(
25 posts Page 2 of 3