DeadlyMatter screenshots #2

23 posts Page 1 of 3
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:03 am
Wow, that's looking pretty rad, guys.

Sorta reminds me of a bit brighter, less depressing STALKER :)
Duion

by Duion » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:44 pm
Is that PBR already? I have the feeling it looks better than the old screenshots, but can't really tell.
Nils

by Nils » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:17 am
JeffR wrote:Sorta reminds me of a bit brighter, less depressing STALKER :)

The STALKER series are a piece of art and a big inspiration, so that's a compliment 8-)

Duion wrote:Is that PBR already? I have the feeling it looks better than the old screenshots, but can't really tell.

There are quite a few updates since the last screenshots. The angle of the Sun object is different in these shots (due to time-of-day), so the blue skylight (custom object) will pop out more with especially the sun at low angels. Further is the postFx color ramp updated with an increased vibrance and slightly cut-off darks to brighten the shadows a bit. (edit: "increased vibrance" is more or less a changed color balance with a combo of contrast, so not a true vibrance in that sense)

No PBR yet, with around 400 materials it's a pretty time consuming task to make that switch. To make those materials maps look acceptable, a lot of T3D material properties were applied. Every texture had to balanced with the scene and overcome the lack of color depth with especially DXT1 compression.
Also having concerns on the memory load; the scene already using roughly 2GB. Would love to add AO and gloss maps, use a decent color depth and make use of a decent gamma correction, but the biggest concern right now is to have everything keep running at >30fps (while the new standard is becoming 60fps).

With a big bag of money and people to work with I would have certainly made that switch already. So sadly enough, right now DM looks dated like STALKER but luckily a bit "brighter and less depressing" with some "tricks" applied :P Nevertheless, a big applause for those who are working hard to make it happen for T3D 3.9
rlranft

by rlranft » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:37 am
Lookin good man - keep it up!
Duion

by Duion » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:21 pm
@
Nils

You said you use time of day, did you solve the flickering issue with the moving shadows? When I tried it, I noticed the moving shadow caused a flickering at it's borders due to bad filtering algorithms. Only with very high shadow resolutions it was halfway acceptable, but you could still see flickering if you look close and shadow pixels popping in and out.
In the game Skyrim they solved it by updating the sunlight only every 10 seconds or so, so the shadow will stand still for 10 seconds, then move a bit, which causes some flickering and then stand still again.
Nils

by Nils » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:56 pm
Not entirely @
Duion
, but there were some changes that reduced the flickering effect.
The resource on this page should already be an improvement: http://pastebin.com/LfqdCC0B
Nils

by Nils » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:06 pm
Made a small no-budget teaser video as well:

URL: https://youtu.be/4u7zjn9R7Y8
Duion

by Duion » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 pm
Nils wrote:Not entirely @
Duion
, but there were some changes that reduced the flickering effect.
The resource on this page should already be an improvement: http://pastebin.com/LfqdCC0B

I don't really know what this does, but it looks like it reduces the ugly fizz-noise and replaces it with a more banding-blend effect. If you use a very soft shadow it works almost fine, but on some places you still see flickering going on.
However thanks for the code, maybe I will use it later.

PS: The trailer is looking good.
Nils

by Nils » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:08 am
@
Duion
, yes, wat I said, we didn't got rid of the flickering entirely but made improvements. The code at pastebin is not written by me, it's from Tom Spilman, so better thank him for it! With trees & foliage the flickering can be acceptable, but of course would be best without. With all other objects it's indeed a painful reminder we're still behind on improving the engine. I'm personally not fond of updating the shadows for example every 10 seconds, the offset would be too much in our case. You see it in games like H1Z1 and gives the impression like the whole scene is suddenly updated like there was a lag or something.

edit: typo
23 posts Page 1 of 3