openSimEarth gets statics, and goes back to decal roads.

18 posts Page 2 of 2
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:17 pm
Hey Chris -

With the upcoming 4.0 update would it be possible to add terrain paging and possibly world origin offsetting into the main T3D Branch?

Just curious,

HeadClot
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:02 am
Sure, if there's interest I'd love to help facilitate that! Would look forward to a good round of code review on my current implementation. In particular, threading of terrain loads would be a *massive* improvement.
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:08 am
Also, I suppose I'd have to cook up an XML based storage system for forest, street, and item data, to replace sqlite.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:37 am
Well, I had some ponderations I've put a fair bit of brainstorming towards in regards to loading large levels in my one workblog post here

As someone that's actually crunched on the issue, I'd be 100% keen on your feedback on the idea.
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:15 am
As an aside, since you're taking decalRoad specifically, would you happen to have an equivalent to https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/pull/1457 laying around? Tried my hand at it and struck out on getting the detection to show up right. (Believe that'd be the last bit of that that would need hooking up prior to any RnD/serious discussion on per-material effects and the like.)
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:38 am
chriscalef wrote:Sure, if there's interest I'd love to help facilitate that! Would look forward to a good round of code review on my current implementation. In particular, threading of terrain loads would be a *massive* improvement.

There is great interest from me at the very least. Get in touch if you need help testing. I am no programmer but I am an artist.

Q. Does your current large world implementation work in multiplayer?
TorqueFan
by TorqueFan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:58 am
chriscalef wrote:Also, I suppose I'd have to cook up an XML based storage system for forest, street, and item data, to replace sqlite.

I've been using Torque's SimXMLDocument class extensively for quite some time. Once I tried it out awhile and pinned down exactly how to store/retrieve data, I started using it exclusively for data persistence.

You can use code or script. You can index data and iterate said index. For multiplayer this adds a layer of security, as all .xml files are accessed exclusively through your custom script/code functions.

Feels like a win/win.

I hadn't profiled it(yet) to see how much of an impact it may have on server performance with the reads/writes. But then again, thus far the amount of data has been so minimal that it doesn't matter regardless. As things expand, though, will have to keep an eye on all the SimXMLDocuments being read/written and probably use a manager class to handle read/write requests. Just thinking out loud, but yea, SimXMLDocument has been working pretty well for me as a way to store data.
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:21 am
Q. Does your current large world implementation work in multiplayer?

To the best of my knowledge, yeah. It's just a paging system for terrain grids, so as long as both clients have the same terrains they should be able to interact normally.
18 posts Page 2 of 2