TorqueLab - Revamped Torque3D editor (under development)

92 posts Page 6 of 10
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:39 am
Just watched the vid, and wanted to say:

<3
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:23 am
Wow, yeah, I'm sorry to say I hadn't really followed this thread before even though I saw it come up, but great work on this! Very impressed. Looking forward to using it.
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:07 pm
Duion wrote:Just make notes while you change or implement something, you don't need to write a full documentation, maybe someone else will help out with it, but people need to know where to start.

I totally agree and I will try to start keeping track of the changes. I will setup a new Wiki and start adding some informations about TorqueLab.

JeffR wrote:Just watched the vid, and wanted to say:<3

chriscalef wrote:Wow, yeah, I'm sorry to say I hadn't really followed this thread before even though I saw it come up, but great work on this! Very impressed. Looking forward to using it.

Thanks for your comments, it's really appreciated and help me getting the motivation to make it available to others ASAP
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:51 pm
No problem, really glad to see somebody taking on the GUI layer! In particular I really like your customizable toolbars, and the window docking, etc, these are things that I've wished Torque had FOREVER. If there aren't any major problems with it I see no reason not to switch right over and never look back. Thanks again for all the hard work!
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 pm
Mud-H wrote:Yeah, I fully understand but I have a time issue... As now, I have nothing documented, I started something a while back but never found the time to extend the document. My current priority is to make the editor stable and adapted to my projects needs. TorqueLab is now quite stable and it's why I decided to start moving forward to v0.5. (That doesn't mean much like that but It's a major step from my point of view). I will try to start documenting the new/changed features soon and also tell a bit about my future plans.

For now, I need to finish the scripts cleanup and make a uniform UI layout, after that I should be able to focus on a possible Public release with a basic guides to help the transition from the standard editors for those willing to take the risk :twisted:

It take a lot longer than anticipated, at start I tought it would have been done in 1 month or so... I'm really bad in estimating development time but TorqueLab is a lot more complex than what I had in mind at start.

And your feedback and suggestion are always welcomed. I started watching videos about CryEngine editors and it's giving me a lot of ideas for the future.

This is my feedback. You have made the Torque 3D editor into a real beast :D The amount of work you have put into this must have been huge. All the many features and the design of the editor is a real damn done job :mrgreen:

I shall fir sure test it out soon.
Janders
by Janders » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:01 pm
Why isn't this the default editor already?

Great job man!

I have one suggestion:

Sketch tool; Be able to move vertexs independably, be able to control size and rotation numerically, be able to make it (or not) collide or be renderable, be able to move pivot point.
Duion

by Duion » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:45 pm
@
Janders

The last version I tested had not all functions working. I planned to switch, but it was not stable enough, I will wait until he says it is stable enough to use.
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:21 am
Janders wrote:Why isn't this the default editor already?

As Duion said, it's not ready for public release. There's no documentations and I prefer to avoid spending time fixing the differents issues user found. I will try to set a new alpha release next week for those curious about it but the support would be limited...

Also, my goal isn't really to make it become the default T3D editor but to offer a good replacement. I will have nothing against making it default if I'm asked but I'm worried that my scripting style is not the same as default editor scripting. Anyway, once everything is cleaned I will be less worried so only god know for now...

Janders wrote:Sketch tool; Be able to move vertexs independably, be able to control size and rotation numerically, be able to make it (or not) collide or be renderable, be able to move pivot point.

Well I had a quick look about how the current ConvexEditor(SketchTool) work and I don't think it's close of allowing something like that. I'm really not skilled enough in C++ and object manipulation to consider making a full featured sketch tool but if someone get something working, I will be pleased to include it.
Mud-H
by Mud-H » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:27 pm
Today, I have improved my initial "SideBar" File browser and universal Scene Objects Tree. As is it now, It's not really a new features, the File Browser work mostly like the SceneEditor "Meshes" creator tab and the Scene Objects Tree is a replacement of the Scene Editor Tree. Why making replacements? I wanted to have access to those features from other plugins without having to duplicate them individually. This make the default SceneEditor useless since the Scene tree also have it own inspector, I'm not fully decided about where I'm going with that, I'm thinking about making the new side inspector an universal inspector for all plugins. There's no need for each plugins to have their own inspector since they are never used at same time.
The only concern I have with that system for now, is that after all those years, it's weird to have the inspector and scene tree on the left. Later, I will define differents layout to choose from and I'd like to develop a good drag and dropping system for the different UI parts (Similar to 3ds Max, Substance designer and many other tools.
So I made a new video showing the progress made on the sidebar and it also show some general UI uniformization progress with a new more simple Dark theme.

As always, your feedbacks/suggestions are welcome! Also, I will try to get a new alpha release available for those willing to give it a try next Thursday.

Help requested:
I have try to make the meshes drag and drop to add the mesh into the scene at cursor position but I haven't been able to get good enough result. I tried using the EditTSControl::unproject(Point3F Screenposition) but I don't understand what's the depth (z) parameter for the screen position. I got no time really to search more about it but maybe someone can help me and tell me how to get a good world position from the cursor position. :)
marauder2k9
by marauder2k9 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:15 pm
we need a gui shader authoring solution
92 posts Page 6 of 10