3.10 Release Candidate

52 posts Page 4 of 6
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 pm
Hey man, no worries!

3.10 is largely fixing bugs and some quality of life improvements, but we also wormed some new features in. It's not exhaustive a list(that'll come with the changelog for the release) but here's some highlights for 3.10:

• Added MacOS support
  • Updated some of the libraries, like bullet, vorbis, png, and recast
  • Various fixes to D3D11 and OpenGL, which help stability and performance
  • Ipv6 support
  • OpenAL-Soft audio support(better than the old OpenAL)
  • Replaced OpenGl's epoxy with GLAD, which is cleaner and simpler for building out the GL feature list.
  • OpenVR support, which allows you to use the Vive
  • Hardware Skinning support
  • A bunch of fixes and tweaks to lighting stuffs to make it all play better with the linearized lighting

And as said, a crazy number of other fixes and tweaks aside from these(So far, we have 105 PRs merged in for 3.10, with a few that'll go in before release yet)

For 4.0, it'll be a pretty gigantic update and improvement in a lot of areas. I'd suggest poking through my workblog thread for some ideas on stuff I've been working on my side of it in line with it all. Important highlights are:

• Dropping D3D9, allowing us to modernize the GFX stuff for OpenGL and D3D11, which should help bring a lot of performance improvements and new features like compute shaders down the line
  • Full switchover to a linear color system, specifically utilizing sRGB textures internally, which are a) better performing because the hardware does the dirty work, and b) all colors to be very consistent and correct across platforms and tools/workflow.
  • PBR(Physically Based Rendering) for the primary material lighting model. This will allow materials to look much more realistic, and have far, far better integration with modern toolsets with less effort.
  • Updates to HDR and tonemapping, which will perform better, look better, and behave a lot more consistently.
  • Hardware PCF shadows, which will look nicer AND run faster
  • A drastically slimmed down gBuffer, which will help the engine run better on older hardware
  • A new base template that has all the cruft trimmed out, so it's easier to use, change and loads faster.
  • The new template will also heavily utilize the new Module/Assets system, as well as make the Entity/Components system the standard for game classes. The huge monolith classes like Shapebase will be deprecated, and down the line removed. This will MASSIVELY help cut back on iteration and testing time, allowing people to focus on gamedev rather than fussing.
  • Updating the stock Torque physics to hook through the Physics abstraction API, so game code is consistent regardless of if you use, Torque's physics, Bullet, or PhysX
  • Drastic improvements and updates to the tools and editor suite, including visual editing of shaders, state machines, more benchmarking tools, etc.
  • Shift all the platform code to utilize SDL, letting us get rid of a lot older, platform-specific code and make things a lot more consistent
  • Big expansion on included starting examples, as well as better documentation and tutorials.
  • Code cleanup, including making sure files are adhering to the coding guidlines, and removing a lot of unwanted cruft, excessive includes which drag down compile times, and not-errors-but-not-right code which can cause bugs and irregular behavior, which should help stability of the engine across the board.

I think that covers the major highlights of what the plan for 4.0 covers. I said earlier I'm working on a proper Roadmap/Master Thesis breakdown of the plan for 4.0, and thankfully while that list looks daunting, a huge amount of the above is either actually done, or rather far along already, just waiting for us to get 3.10 out the door so we can start merging stuff in.

Lemme know if you have any other questions ;)
Happenstance
by Happenstance » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:36 am
@
JeffR
- I'm in the same boat as HeadClot so I appreciate the overview of all of the improvements in 3.10 & 4.0.

I'd like to start a new project with T3D using 3.10 but I'm concerned the transition to 4.0 will be a hassle. Is the new base template (the one that's making use of the module & asset system) on git somewhere? I'd like to use 3.10 now but with the new template so I have at least some head start on the transition.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm
Sure!

https://github.com/Areloch/Torque3D/tree/BaseGameTemplate

That's the current build of it. It's a bit behind to devhead, but i plan on updating it soon. It has a module that contains all the current Full template's fps/gameplay stuff, so if you started working on something now, you could port it over to that module without a huge amount of hassle.

If you wanted to look at how the assets and entity/component stuff works, you can nab my R&D branch https://github.com/areloch/Torque3d/tree/RnDBuild

Where I do all the testing and building for the modules/assets/entity-component and all that jazz. If it's in my workblog posts, it's in the RnD branch.

I do plan to put together documentation explaining how you can port to 4.0(while existing game classes like ShapeBase, Player, Item, etc will be deprecated, there will be entity/component versions that come with 4.0 that do the same thing, so you don't need to start from scratch or anything, merely port over).

Let me know if you had any specific questions :)
Happenstance
by Happenstance » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:28 am
That's great. Thanks! I'm going to look over everything this week in more detail but the quick glance I had at the template code has me excited for 4.0.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:30 am
Good to hear!

Over the next day or two, I'm gunna go in-depth on the particulars of the assets, entity/component and game object stuffs in my workblog thread, so feel free to keep an eye out there for more details on how this will all get utilized :)
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:00 pm
Hey @
JeffR
Thanks for the overview on 3.10 RC and 4.00.

Is there any where I can put a feature request for T3D?

I do not want to post on the T3D Github and get in trouble.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:31 pm
Haha, no worries!

You can either make a thread here on the forums, or you can make an issue on the github page, just noting it's a feature request so it's easier to organize.

You needn't worry about getting in trouble for suggestions :)
elfprince13

by elfprince13 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:08 pm
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all the hard work. OS X support is a huge moment, and I might finally come back into the Torque fold after GG screwed the pooch on the T3D 1.1 release way back when.
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:29 am
JeffR wrote:Haha, no worries!

You can either make a thread here on the forums, or you can make an issue on the github page, just noting it's a feature request so it's easier to organize.

You needn't worry about getting in trouble for suggestions :)

Thanks for the clarification and I made the feature request.

https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues/1917
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:48 pm
Hey, what's the procedure for making a DX11 build? I did a fresh update, and noted that TORQUE_D3D11 was checked in CMake, but when I tried to compile, it failed looking for D3D9.h. Do I need to uncheck DIRECTX at the same time as checking TORQUE_D3D11? (Testing that...)

EDIT: Nope, that didn't fix it either. Do I still need the DX9 SDK in order to build an exclusively DX11 executable?
52 posts Page 4 of 6