3.10 Release Candidate

52 posts Page 3 of 6
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:43 am
Heh, yeah, fair enough.

It's obviously possible to push it higher, i think it was pretty much a memory/bandwidth consideration. 70 was figured as a relatively low, but acceptable number, I believe that's what Mango's team used as their max, which is why it's that number.

That said, fair point that it could be limiting from an artist perspective. Entirely a valid possibility to go ahead and bump that up - or heck, could look at making it a pref, so for games with less complex art, they can rein the number in and save on some memory and all that jazz.

Let us know if bumping it up worked for you then :)
J0linar
by J0linar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:24 am
JeffR wrote:...to go ahead and bump that up - or heck, could look at making it a pref...Let us know if bumping it up worked for you then :)

Yes bumping it from 70 to a Max of 90 Skinned Bones fixed the issue.
Making it a pref sounds nice but honestly just bumping it up will solve upcoming issues with ppl comin and asking why, cuz i dont think that ppl will cross the line of 90 Bones.
70 Bones is enough for a Player Character and for some of us it should be enough for the view models as well.

Anyways thx JeffR for pointing me to the right direction.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:22 pm
J0linar wrote:
JeffR wrote:...to go ahead and bump that up - or heck, could look at making it a pref...Let us know if bumping it up worked for you then :)

Yes bumping it from 70 to a Max of 90 Skinned Bones fixed the issue.
Making it a pref sounds nice but honestly just bumping it up will solve upcoming issues with ppl comin and asking why, cuz i dont think that ppl will cross the line of 90 Bones.
70 Bones is enough for a Player Character and for some of us it should be enough for the view models as well.

Anyways thx JeffR for pointing me to the right direction.

I figure we can do both. Bump up the default a bit, and also possibly make it a pref so it's easier to tweak as needed.

And yeah, thanks for helping test stuff! :)
Jason Campbell

by Jason Campbell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:58 am
Wow, you guys are incredible. Thank you.
Duion

by Duion » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:09 pm
It could almost be released like it is according to my tests, there is a few issues left that I consider a bit problematic: https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues/1869 , https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues/1860 and this https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues/1746
I think I release my game with them and fix the issues for the next version.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:21 pm
For the guys that noted a slight performance decrease from 3.9 to 3.10. We did some profiling and tracked it to the change in HDR format handling.

In 3.9, we had a thinner HDR buffer, RGB10A2, which has lower cost to fill out for the HDR postFX compared to the fatter RGBA16F buffer in use for 3.10 at the moment. The reason for the shift is that, with the linearized lighting introduced in 3.9, with HDR enabled you could get color banding, as the RGB10A2 texture didn't have the bit depth necessary for smooth colors in some lighting situations, specifically dark ones.

So for 3.10, in the interests of more accurate colors/reduction in banding, we upped to the fatter buffer texture. This unfortunately means that HDR has a slightly higher cost.

Post-3.10, we're dropping Dx9, and switching over to sRGB and a much leaner gbuffer(timmy's already got this all sorted, we just need to drop it in, basically), as well as some improvements to the HDR effect. All that together sees far, far more accurate color handling, with a performance increase as well.

For 3.10 though, if you're willing to deal with a bit of possible color banding in darker areas, you can roll back the fatter HDR buffer tweak and that should get the perfromance back to where 3.9 was by uncommenting this line:

https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/blob/57dfeb829a40fb88c974d9370d70e8dcadeb650b/Engine/source/gfx/gfxDevice.cpp#L1324

That'll make the HDR format default to the RGB10A2, which as said above is lighter and thus costs less to utilize HDR, but at the expense of less accurate lighting and possible color banding.

@
Duion
for #1746, I have a PR pending I just need to make a tweak to tonight and will get rolled in. Plan is to get fixes for a few more issues that people ran into and have an RC2 pushed out this weekend.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:59 pm
Hey guys, hope everyone's holidays went well!

Got a few more PRs to test and merge, but the plan is to get RC2 put up tonight.
Chelaru
by Chelaru » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:38 pm
JeffR wrote:Hey guys, hope everyone's holidays went well!

Got a few more PRs to test and merge, but the plan is to get RC2 put up tonight.

Yeee
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:40 pm
RC2 is up: https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/releases/tag/3.10rc2

Mac and Lin binaries will be in soon. 1 or 2 definite PRs that'll still go in for 3.10 official, but if we can spot any other oddball things to try and shore up, that'd be good! Keep up the excellent work on testing, guys :)
HeadClot
by HeadClot » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:09 am
I have been out of the loop for a bit. What does 3.10 and 4.0 bring to the table for Torque 3D?
52 posts Page 3 of 6