Torque 3D 3.9 Release Candidate

39 posts Page 1 of 4
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:48 pm
Hey everyone!

After a bit of a delay off the original estimate(due to trying to squash some bugs that kept on cropped up that we wanted fixed), the release candidate is finally here!

You can grab it from the github page for it, here. Source code, Windows and Linux binaries for the release are there.

Several new things are in play, like the proper deferred renderer, DX11 support, the experimental Entity/Component stuff, proper file dialogs on Linux and a multitude of other fixes, improvements and additions.

The release candidate cycle will probably run until the end of the month so we can make sure to really hammer in any bugs that may have squeaked through the cracks unless everything goes really smoothly, and then the full release and a breakdown of plans for 4.0! In the meantime, we'll keep an eye out on any other bugs, and I'll wrap up the port of the old GG demos to go out with 3.9 on release.
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:50 pm
So this version is the last version to support DX9, right?
saindd
by saindd » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:12 pm
Where i can find more info about the ECS implementation? Is OpenGL in sync with DX11 features?
Azaezel

by Azaezel » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:58 pm
re GL: We still use immediate mode uniform submission rather than constant buffers at time of writing. Other than that, yes.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:04 pm
Dwarf King wrote:So this version is the last version to support DX9, right?

Yep!

saindd wrote:Where i can find more info about the ECS implementation? Is OpenGL in sync with DX11 features?

I'll start working on some wiki pages/tutorial bits, but the first thing you need to do if you want to start playing with it is activate it in cmake and compile it in.

You can do that by turning on the advanced flag TORQUE_EXPERIMENTAL_EC, generating and rebuilding. That'll build the engine stuffs with it included, and if you run the install project, it'll install the associated files/tool bits for the full template as well.

From there, when you go into a level, you can find the Entity class type to spawn it under the Level folder in the creator. If you select an entity, there'll be a drop-down that lists available components that can be added to the entity. Any components on the entity will be show up in a special sub-item in the Scene heirarchy tree called 'Components'. In there you can select the components, modify their properties, etc.

You can also save a Entity to be a 'game object', which is pretty much a prefab with an associated script, by right-clicking on an entity in the scene view and clicking the associated command. Any Game Objects will show up in the GameObjects folder in the scripted tab in the creator.

This way, you can build up, say, a player object(the included example GameObject is an example of how a player object for a third person game may be configured), save it as a Game Object with a unique name, and readily spawn it via the editor, or the console command spawnGameObject(%gameObjectName, %addToMissionGroup);

Once it's been created via the editor, it'll have a script generated alongside it you can add code to affect the game object as a whole, or modify/create new components for particular behavior.

As for the DX/GL, az answered that one above.
saindd
by saindd » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:56 pm
I've noticed many bugs in the 3.9 OpenGL implementation that were reported since 3.7. So, it doesn't seem that much was done on that part. Is there a changelog of the fixes made to OpenGL?
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:13 pm
When I pull, generate new projects and compile the development branch in VS2015, I get:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'nfd.h': No such file or directory Full DLL d:\gamedev\torque3d-hobby\torque3d - 2\engine\source\platform\nativedialogs\filedialog.cpp 32

As well as:
15>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(936,5): warning MSB8027: Two or more files with the name of fileDialog.cpp will produce outputs to the same location. This can lead to an incorrect build result. The files involved are ..\..\..\..\..\Engine\source\platform\nativeDialogs\fileDialog.cpp, ..\..\..\..\..\Engine\source\platformWin32\nativeDialogs\fileDialog.cpp.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:04 pm
LukasPJ wrote:When I pull, generate new projects and compile the development branch in VS2015, I get:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'nfd.h': No such file or directory Full DLL d:\gamedev\torque3d-hobby\torque3d - 2\engine\source\platform\nativedialogs\filedialog.cpp 32

As well as:
15>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(936,5): warning MSB8027: Two or more files with the name of fileDialog.cpp will produce outputs to the same location. This can lead to an incorrect build result. The files involved are ..\..\..\..\..\Engine\source\platform\nativeDialogs\fileDialog.cpp, ..\..\..\..\..\Engine\source\platformWin32\nativeDialogs\fileDialog.cpp.

How'd you generate the project? Sounds like it didn't filter the files correctly, there.
Johxz
by Johxz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:45 pm
saindd wrote:I've noticed many bugs in the 3.9 OpenGL implementation that were reported since 3.7. So, it doesn't seem that much was done on that part. Is there a changelog of the fixes made to OpenGL?

I asked this sometime ago :lol: you can always use github with diferrent labels and milestone to filters

- https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues?q=is%3Aissue+milestone%3A3.9+is%3Aclosed
- https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3ABug+is%3Aclosed

Either way I will share some links
- http://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=455
- http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22290
- http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22106
elfprince13

by elfprince13 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:56 pm
Out of curiosity, has anybody tried to directly compile the Linux client under OS X with MacPorts?
39 posts Page 1 of 4