Torque 3D 3.9 Release Candidate

JeffR

Hey everyone!

After a bit of a delay off the original estimate(due to trying to squash some bugs that kept on cropped up that we wanted fixed), the release candidate is finally here!

You can grab it from the github page for it, here. Source code, Windows and Linux binaries for the release are there.

Several new things are in play, like the proper deferred renderer, DX11 support, the experimental Entity/Component stuff, proper file dialogs on Linux and a multitude of other fixes, improvements and additions.

The release candidate cycle will probably run until the end of the month so we can make sure to really hammer in any bugs that may have squeaked through the cracks unless everything goes really smoothly, and then the full release and a breakdown of plans for 4.0! In the meantime, we'll keep an eye out on any other bugs, and I'll wrap up the port of the old GG demos to go out with 3.9 on release.

So this version is the last version to support DX9, right?

Yep!

Where i can find more info about the ECS implementation? Is OpenGL in sync with DX11 features?

I'll start working on some wiki pages/tutorial bits, but the first thing you need to do if you want to start playing with it is activate it in cmake and compile it in.

You can do that by turning on the advanced flag TORQUE_EXPERIMENTAL_EC, generating and rebuilding. That'll build the engine stuffs with it included, and if you run the install project, it'll install the associated files/tool bits for the full template as well.

From there, when you go into a level, you can find the Entity class type to spawn it under the Level folder in the creator. If you select an entity, there'll be a drop-down that lists available components that can be added to the entity. Any components on the entity will be show up in a special sub-item in the Scene heirarchy tree called 'Components'. In there you can select the components, modify their properties, etc.

You can also save a Entity to be a 'game object', which is pretty much a prefab with an associated script, by right-clicking on an entity in the scene view and clicking the associated command. Any Game Objects will show up in the GameObjects folder in the scripted tab in the creator.

This way, you can build up, say, a player object(the included example GameObject is an example of how a player object for a third person game may be configured), save it as a Game Object with a unique name, and readily spawn it via the editor, or the console command spawnGameObject(%gameObjectName, %addToMissionGroup);

Once it's been created via the editor, it'll have a script generated alongside it you can add code to affect the game object as a whole, or modify/create new components for particular behavior.

As for the DX/GL, az answered that one above.

When I pull, generate new projects and compile the development branch in VS2015, I get:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State

Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'nfd.h': No such file or directory Full DLL d:\gamedev\torque3d-hobby\torque3d - 2\engine\source\platform\nativedialogs\filedialog.cpp 32

As well as:

15>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(936,5): warning MSB8027: Two or more files with the name of fileDialog.cpp will produce outputs to the same location. This can lead to an incorrect build result. The files involved are ..\..\..\..\..\Engine\source\platform\nativeDialogs\fileDialog.cpp, ..\..\..\..\..\Engine\source\platformWin32\nativeDialogs\fileDialog.cpp.

When I pull, generate new projects and compile the development branch in VS2015, I get:

Error C1083 Cannot open include file: 'nfd.h': No such file or directory Full DLL d:\gamedev\torque3d-hobby\torque3d - 2\engine\source\platform\nativedialogs\filedialog.cpp 32

As well as:

15>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(936,5): warning MSB8027: Two or more files with the name of fileDialog.cpp will produce outputs to the same location. This can lead to an incorrect build result. The files involved are ..\..\..\..\..\Engine\source\platform\nativeDialogs\fileDialog.cpp, ..\..\..\..\..\Engine\source\platformWin32\nativeDialogs\fileDialog.cpp.

How'd you generate the project? Sounds like it didn't filter the files correctly, there.

I've noticed many bugs in the 3.9 OpenGL implementation that were reported since 3.7. So, it doesn't seem that much was done on that part. Is there a changelog of the fixes made to OpenGL?

I asked this sometime ago :lol: you can always use github with diferrent labels and milestone to filters

- https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues?q=is%3Aissue+milestone%3A3.9+is%3Aclosed

- https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3ABug+is%3Aclosed

Either way I will share some links

- http://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=455

- http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22290

- http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22106

I've noticed many bugs in the 3.9 OpenGL implementation that were reported since 3.7. So, it doesn't seem that much was done on that part. Is there a changelog of the fixes made to OpenGL?

Were you just noting the outstanding issues list(which does need some pruning, now), or have you noticed some issues in particular when testing?

The compilation issues with libCollada, which i got past after making some minor fixes. Also, the terrain in OpenGL seems very unstable. The character falls from it in certain areas (can't give more information right now, i'm trying to find a pattern in order to report this) and there are seams in the textures whenever you use normal or parallax mapping.

There are also random crashes with large terrains, but i also wasn't able to find a pattern yet. Are there any other Linux users out there? Maybe we can help by debugging together and sharing reports :geek:

The compilation issues with libCollada, which i got past after making some minor fixes. Also, the terrain in OpenGL seems very unstable. The character falls from it in certain areas (can't give more information right now, i'm trying to find a pattern in order to report this) and there are seams in the textures whenever you use normal or parallax mapping.

There are also random crashes with large terrains, but i also wasn't able to find a pattern yet. Are there any other Linux users out there? Maybe we can help by debugging together and sharing reports :geek:

Some of those aren't really OpenGL, persay, but yeah, definitely need to be addressed.

If you and anyone else running Linux have more details, like logs, or video/screenshots of stuff happening, then we can get all over that. It's hard to debug stuff we can't reproduce, after all :)

As well as:

How'd you generate the project? Sounds like it didn't filter the files correctly, there.

As usual, copy template to projects folder and run the generateProjects.bat I'll try and see if I can track it down later today

The old project generator is pretty much dead now, try the build again with CMake @LukasPJ

generateProjects.bat still works fine for me - though I haven't added a vs2013 or vs2015 target yet, the vs2012 target script still does what it's supposed to do. Not sure how it can really break, after all - all it does is walk the source folder recursively and add files to the project. This results in a project with your specified parameters from the buildfiles/config/project.config file for the project at hand. Nothing really fancy here, so I'd expect it to be pretty durable.

The old project generator is pretty much dead now, try the build again with CMake @LukasPJ

generateProjects.bat still works fine for me - though I haven't added a vs2013 or vs2015 target yet, the vs2012 target script still does what it's supposed to do. Not sure how it can really break, after all - all it does is walk the source folder recursively and add files to the project. This results in a project with your specified parameters from the buildfiles/config/project.config file for the project at hand. Nothing really fancy here, so I'd expect it to be pretty durable.

Yeah i know how it works ;) . A lot of stuff has not been updated with it and 3.9 will not compile using it.

How's the 3.9 final release coming along?

Can I put in a request for out of the box Mac support?

Some of our users aren't gamers and they have Macs.

Johxz is correct, shooting for this weekend, and if any snags pop up, it'd be next week. Really wanting to have it out for the weekend though.

As for osx, we'd done some work into that a little while back, and while it worked, it was kinda in a weird place stability-wise. JeffH was looking at beating it all up and getting cocoa in there for a stable layer. He had been doing the work here: https://github.com/JeffProgrammer/Torque3D/tree/macosx_cocoa

If you're able to help or help test, that'd definitely speed up that side of things. Part of the problem is not everyone has a mac to easily develop/test on, so if you can help on that front it'd be quite the boon. I'd suggest trying to hit him up if you can help.

Mac OSX Cocoa branch is very unstable and broken as I was just getting it to compile and load a blank window on x64. The branch you will want to use is the macosx one as that is more stable. It requires compiling with the 10.7 SDK and 32bit only, because it depends on old deprecated (and removed in later SDKs) carbon API.

So in general, requirements:

- Mac OSX 10.7 Lion or later. (Not tested on MacOS Sierra beta obviously)

- OpenGL 3.2 compatible card (basically any graphics card that can run 10.7+ that isn't Intel GMA. Intel HD 3000 or higher works fine).

- You must compile with the Apple Clang/LLVM compiler and not GCC 4.2.

- You must compile with the 10.7 Lion SDK. Any other SDK is untested and will probably fail because of missing api functions.

The machine I developed on had this spec:

OSX: 10.10 - 10.11

XCode: 6.x - 7.x

CPU: Intel Core i7 2750HQM 2.0ghz (4 cores, 8 threads)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz

GPU: Intel Iris Pro

SSD: 250GB

Advanced lighting is experimental and pretty much works as is. Basic lighting works pretty good. OpenAL sound works. Performance is jank and sucks really bad, but then again apple hardware uses mobile chips and Torque3D was most likely developed for desktop PCs in mind.

Its been 9 months and I don't know when I will get back to continuing it, if ever. Right now the branch is sitting at Torque3D 3.6.x and is really far behind.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Could I make a suggestion for the steering committee?

Instead of pushing the engine even further ahead in 4.0 and going for PBR which is ahead of the curve but maybe a little too far ahead of the curve, why not put all our resources into making the engine cross-platform compatible which will do more than anything else to bring it up to date and increase the user base?

It's been tried several times now and failed, how about putting all our resources into it and putting it on an equal footing with the other game engines and making a Mac, Linux and Android version before we go any further ahead?