Torque 3D 3.8 Released

JeffR

Well, you said manually compiling it all yourself ran without problems right? So the only issue was the precompiled?

May just be a compatibility issue between distros. I compiled the precompiled one on Ubuntu.

Jeff, Correct. Under Linux Mint 17. I'm not able to run the precompiled version. I'm able compile, and run the versions from the github site. Can I assume that the Master branch is the latest release (3.8)? Is it possible to see which version I'm running from the editor?

Thanks!

Correct, the master branch is 3.8.

As for the version, hm...I don't know that there's anything that has a version readout in the editor, but I think there really should be. Good suggestion.

Also, wrapped the release notes!

Here they are.

So, given how weird git can be, you guys may not be familiar with an easy way to pull and test PRs.

As such, I've started a new wiki page and added an instruction set for utilizing TortiseGit for pulling down PRs, here.

Anyone that's familiar with other methods or tools is encouraged to add onto that page with a new section.

Like the page says, the more people we get testing on the PRs, the more assured we can be that they work properly and don't introduce any new issues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So hey, I'm working today and didn't have time to test it extensively, but when I updated to 3.8 I got a weird lighting effect. In a level with a sun object and a grass object, the grass as well as other transparencies flickered really bad. When I removed the sun and replaced it with a point light went away. I haven't had time to verify this in a stock build though, so odds are high it's something local, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else sees it.

Regular sun, here's the specifics I was using:

new Sun(theSun) {
     azimuth = "125";
     elevation = "70";
     color = "0.968628 0.901961 0.901961 1";
     ambient = "0.078431 0.113725 0.156863 1";
     brightness = "1.0";
     castShadows = "1";
     coronaEnabled = "1";
     coronaScale = "0.5";
     coronaTint = "1 1 1 1";
     coronaUseLightColor = "1";
     flareScale = "1";
     attenuationRatio = "0 1 1";
     shadowType = "PSSM";
     texSize = "1024";
     overDarkFactor = "3000 1500 750 250";
     shadowDistance = "200";
     shadowSoftness = "0.25";
     numSplits = "4";
     logWeight = "0.9";
     fadeStartDistance = "0";
     lastSplitTerrainOnly = "0";
     representedInLightmap = "0";
     shadowDarkenColor = "0 0 0 -1";
     includeLightmappedGeometryInShadow = "0";
     position = "0 0 0";
     rotation = "1 0 0 0";
     scale = "1 1 1";
     canSave = "1";
     canSaveDynamicFields = "1";
        bias = "0.1";
        Blur = "1";
        enabled = "1";
        height = "1024";
        lightBleedFactor = "0.8";
        minVariance = "0";
        pointShadowType = "PointShadowType_Paraboloid";
        shadowBox = "-100 -100 -100 100 100 100";
        splitFadeDistances = "1 1 1 1";
        width = "3072";
  };

Observed behavior was fast and irregular flickering, which oddly enough stopped when the camera was facing due south (minus Y). Facing any other direction, both the grass and the transparent windows in my helicopter flickered at the same rate. I'll try to reproduce it on a stock build and poke around at it some more this weekend.

• 2 months later...