Closing in on 3.8

49 posts Page 3 of 5
Azaezel
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 pm
 
by Azaezel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:14 pm
RichardM wrote:Nice job guys... BUT... It seems that Torque has become a Linux game engine. :? Now I have the problem that I run Windows7 and when I want to build the engine I still need the bl**dy DirectX SDK! The thing is 5 years old! Also targetting for at least Vista (just because XP is no longer supported) there is no need for it, so why isn't it eliminated?

In my humble opinion this should also be a thing in 3.8. I still use 3.0 with most of the 3.5 things in it and also the D3D9-refactor which Anis did some time ago. With this refactor it isn't necessary to have the SDK installed.

Forgive me the rant, but this frustrates me largely.


So push a compatible patch?
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm
 
by JeffR » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm
RichardM wrote:Nice job guys... BUT... It seems that Torque has become a Linux game engine. :? Now I have the problem that I run Windows7 and when I want to build the engine I still need the bl**dy DirectX SDK! The thing is 5 years old! Also targetting for at least Vista (just because XP is no longer supported) there is no need for it, so why isn't it eliminated?

In my humble opinion this should also be a thing in 3.8. I still use 3.0 with most of the 3.5 things in it and also the D3D9-refactor which Anis did some time ago. With this refactor it isn't necessary to have the SDK installed.

Forgive me the rant, but this frustrates me largely.


Actually, I do want to get Anis' work on that in for 3.9. It didn't get in for 3.8, because while slightly annoying to have to get the older SDK, it wasn't really a stability or function issue. I agree though, using the Windows SDK instead of the DirectX SDK is how it should be in the future.

Like Az said though, if you've got it working? Duuuude pass it over here :) I'd love to get it in.
RichardM
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 pm
 
by RichardM » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:15 pm
As said, I'm running T3D 3.0 with most of the 3.5 things in it. I was not able to get the engine build with later versions modified with the directx refactor, so... :(
Azaezel
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 pm
 
by Azaezel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:16 pm
You'll forgive me, but I'm not entirely sure I'm tracking how finishing what was started with a submission to the main engine translates to somehow making it a linux engine. Particularly not in light of the fact that putting more work into the SDL2 end of things means *less* platform specific code down the road...

I do sympathize. Like I said on the old forums, ran with a combined refactor/ogl/deferred abomination for a while there myself till the various codebases diverged enough it was tough to track. Have given Anis a poke and asked him to stick his head in if he has a chance, but He's been pretty preoccupied with the day job of late, so no guarantees on an immediate answer there.
RichardM
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 pm
 
by RichardM » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:39 pm
@
User avatar
Azaezel
: I'm sorry that I gave the impression that T3D had become a linux engine, it was just my frustration, and certainly didn't mean to insult anybody. In the days of 3.0 and 3.5 it was a relatively easy job to add the D3D9 refactor to the engine and build it with the windows SDK, but in 3.7 it seems to be a hell of a job (I've just run winmerge to see the differences), so it may be somewhat of a missed change here unfortunately. But if we all know everything on forehand, we were all millionaires. ;)

And I know that the Linux/OpenGL version was a problem child for a long time (too long maybe). It is only good that we now have the possibility to build for different platforms. I am currently trying to add DX11 support to my game The Master's Eye (again most of the work has been done by Anis and co.) aside DX9, making some progress but still got many unexpected results. I will see what I can do at my side between all the other gamedev stuff.
Azaezel
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 pm
 
by Azaezel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:59 pm
No worries. Gotta remember though, not a one of us is getting paid to work on the engine like GG was. We're *all* squeezing this stuff in around game-dev.
RichardM
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 pm
 
by RichardM » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:55 pm
I know, I'm not blaming anybody. And if I were able to fix it myself I would have posted it, because I think that besides OpenGL/Linux support, T3D also needs the latest on DX9 but also make the step to DX11. We'll see how it goes. :)
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm
 
by JeffR » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:44 pm
RichardM wrote:I know, I'm not blaming anybody. And if I were able to fix it myself I would have posted it, because I think that besides OpenGL/Linux support, T3D also needs the latest on DX9 but also make the step to DX11. We'll see how it goes. :)


Yeah, total agreement there, probably from everybody ;)

The BeamNG guys have said they'll likely patch us the DX11 work they've done for their stuff, but even if that falls through for whatever reason, at minimum we can just take Anis' excellent work as a starting point, get it working and move on from there. One way or another, we'll get DX11 crammed in.
Chelaru
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:33 am
by Chelaru » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:29 am
JeffR wrote:
RichardM wrote:I know, I'm not blaming anybody. And if I were able to fix it myself I would have posted it, because I think that besides OpenGL/Linux support, T3D also needs the latest on DX9 but also make the step to DX11. We'll see how it goes. :)


Yeah, total agreement there, probably from everybody ;)

The BeamNG guys have said they'll likely patch us the DX11 work they've done for their stuff, but even if that falls through for whatever reason, at minimum we can just take Anis' excellent work as a starting point, get it working and move on from there. One way or another, we'll get DX11 crammed in.



DX 11 you say. Hmmmm when ?
Azaezel
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 pm
 
by Azaezel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:41 am
49 posts Page 3 of 5

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest