Torque 3D 3.7 released

59 posts Page 4 of 6
Duion

by Duion » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:14 am
Slow compared to what? Did you make any comparisons with measurements?
The big mainstream games are often heavily optimized and a lot of tricks are used to make it looks good and run fast, the engine is not the only factor.
For example Torque uses realtime lights for everything by default, if you bake the lighting instead you can increase FPS by around three times, at least this is what I got when I tested it.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:17 am
andi_s wrote:Thanks Duion. I think it's mainly the cpu then. Granted, my pc is by far not the latest and greatest, but still it's disapointing how slow T3D is.

To be sure, there are parts of the engine that are slow, but part of my intent with getting the T3D demos is to give us a very concrete baseline that everyone can use to test.

So now that we have a baseline, we can start getting consistent performance figures like what you've been providing and it gives us a clearer picture of what can be optimized.

One thing I'd like you to try, is to go into scripts/client/prefs.cs

And change

Code: Select all

$pref::TS::maxInstancingVerts = "200";

To...say,

$pref::TS::maxInstancingVerts = 3000";

By default, T3D has a rather low vert count for instancing(it's largely meant for groundclutter with this setup). I've seen some improvement if you up the instancing amount so it kicks in for trees, so if you could test that and let me know how that impacts performance?
NekoDemon117
by NekoDemon117 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:24 am
I have some stutter problems, but I am getting around 145-170 FPS on the default Desert level. This is with a Galaxy GTX 660 GC and a FX 8350 at 1920x1080 on max settings. RAM is 8GB (2 x 4GB) @ 1333mhz. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I haven't finished downloading the Pacific Demo to be able to try it yet.
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:17 am
triggerfish wrote:Thanks JeffR. Is there a Project Manager that I should be using to make a scene in Linux? What's the process for starting a blank project?

Sadly no Linux PM - here's an article describing setting a project up without it.
triggerfish
by triggerfish » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:26 am
Thanks buckmaster, I was able to follow that tutorial earlier to get all the files in the same folder as my executable. Please see my post on page 3 about the error I'm getting when I try to start the project. Please forgive me if my terminology is completely wrong. I'm new at this stuff, but I like to learn.
NekoDemon117
by NekoDemon117 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:26 am
I'm only getting 20-30 FPS outside in the Pacific Demo, depending on the area. I get 20 FPS worst-case, but I'm only averaging 23-24. It won't let me enter the cave because something is wrong with the collision in that area.
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:40 am
@
NekoDemon117
would you mind doing some profiling and posting the results? It'd be very interesting to see what your CPU is being spent on.

@
triggerfish
ah sorry I missed that. Might be good to post the console.log somewhere like pastebin for us to see the whole thing. Sounds like something serious!
NekoDemon117
by NekoDemon117 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:05 am
I couldn't find where to attach files on this forum, so here is a Mega link. My performance was even worse this time, so hopefully it will have the information you're looking for.

https://mega.co.nz/#!k5VGGDZK!Y1JfzMDro ... 9QY6sd9y-0
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:16 am
@
NekoDemon117
thanks for that! I've started a new thread for performance and optimisation discussion.
andi_s
by andi_s » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:30 am
JeffR wrote:
andi_s wrote:Thanks Duion. I think it's mainly the cpu then. Granted, my pc is by far not the latest and greatest, but still it's disapointing how slow T3D is.

To be sure, there are parts of the engine that are slow, but part of my intent with getting the T3D demos is to give us a very concrete baseline that everyone can use to test.

So now that we have a baseline, we can start getting consistent performance figures like what you've been providing and it gives us a clearer picture of what can be optimized.

One thing I'd like you to try, is to go into scripts/client/prefs.cs

And change

$pref::TS::maxInstancingVerts = "200";

To...say,

$pref::TS::maxInstancingVerts = 3000";

By default, T3D has a rather low vert count for instancing(it's largely meant for groundclutter with this setup). I've seen some improvement if you up the instancing amount so it kicks in for trees, so if you could test that and let me know how that impacts performance?

JeffR, this helps a bit. i get around 5 fps more this way.
I know shipped games are heavily optimized, I was just thinking that compared to for example unity, it seems T3D performs worse on the same Hardware. Regarding baked lighting, how would I do this....do I Need to buy purelight from the GG Store?
59 posts Page 4 of 6