Torque 3D 3.6.3 released

13 posts Page 1 of 2
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:38 pm
Yes, it's finally here! Despite our goal being to make these little releases happen more often, this one took a good couple of months. I'm happy to blame Christmas for at least one of those months - everyone going on holidays and so on. We also wanted to get a decent number of fixes into the release, instead of pushing an update with little content - though I think that ended up being a quixotic cause, and in hindsight we probably should have kicked a version out the door sooner!

Either way, 3.6.3 is here and it contains all the minor fixes and tweaks you are growing to know and love from these mini releases... right? The full release notes are on the wiki as usual, and binaries can be downloaded from the downloads page.

Version 3.7 freeze and pre-release

3.7 is shaping up to be a pretty significant release - the biggest additions being, of course, James U's console function refactor, the addition of an OpenGL rendering layer, and on top of this, Linux client support! But, in order to make 3.7 happen, we need your help!

We've 'frozen' the 3.7 milestone, and have moved all the new features and miscellaneous other issues and pull requests back to version 3.8, in order to focus on bugfixes for 3.7. There are already two pages of those, and we're sure there will be more. We want to get as many people as possible to stand on the engine and jump up and down so we can find out where it creaks, and deliver you the stablest possible release.

This isn't just limited to people who want to use OpenGL or Linux - even if you're just doing plain old DX9 like you always have, we want to make sure we haven't broken anything for you! (Spoilers: we have. It's a known issue and we're working on it.)

So what can you do? We're soon going to add a tag and provide a pre-release binary download for you to play around with. This will probably involve distributing Windows and hopefully Ubuntu binaries, along with the new version of the Project Manager. Running those would be a big help, but even better would be trying to merge the development branch into your own game and letting us know if it causes problems. A lot has been touched, and even if we can't guarantee you won't have a little bit of merging to do, we'd at least like to know where the pain points are to we can make them very clear and obvious to people.

Project Manager 2.2

In other news, the next version of the Project Manager is also available for pre-release testing. I don't anticipate any major issues, but it'd be nice to have someone test it aside from me and Steve. You can download the pre-release binary here, because ain't nobody got time to compile it from source.

This ain't over

You'll be hearing from the SC again soon! Mark my words!
Lethedethius
by Lethedethius » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:38 am
Awesome!
fiammybe
by fiammybe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:20 am
Looking forward to the pre-release binaries. Please post the update here when they are available so we can start testing like loonies :-)
Dwarf King
by Dwarf King » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:34 am
So I am about to move my project over to this version so have anyone tried to implement the AFX with UAIK in this version so far?

I mean it could be awesome to get some advice from others who have done it and if it works or some issues are found(it would save me a ton of time to know what to expect i advanced). :)

Edit: seem that many things in this version will be rolled back. I better wait for 3.7 release before porting from 3.5.x version
elfprince13

by elfprince13 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:45 am
Out of curiosity... what version of OpenGL is being targeted by the new layer? And how "Linux-y" is the Linux client versus support for general *nix platforms? A brief perusal of the forums didn't turn up anything, but if Torque is moving back in the direction of multiplatform support, I'm absolutely jumping back on board.
LuisAntonRebollo
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by LuisAntonRebollo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:26 am
OpenGL target is 3.1 and use extensions when posible up to OpenGL4.

About Linux, we started with Ubuntu as base, some user have compined on Fedora with zero source changes. As people start testing we can improve Linux support.
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:50 am
EDIT: ninja'd by Luis.

@
elfprince13
good to see you around here :). The new layer is OpenGL 3.2 IIRC (EDIT: nope, 3.1), though someone is also working on a 2.1 layer - not sure whether this will become official at any point. I'm not well-versed in the Unix world beyond Linux - nor the Linux world itself (which is huge) to be honest - but what I do know is that we've had reports of our code working on Mint and Fedora as well as our target, Ubuntu. OSX support is possible and has been done, but is not official yet, as we have few core dev members who own a mac. Luis has big ambitions for getting SteamOS working, and providing an OpenGL ES backend last time I heard. Though I don't want to put words in his mouth ;).
elfprince13

by elfprince13 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:29 am
Hmmm, I started playing around with trying to build current development branch on OS X and (for obvious reasons) started bumping into problems - does anyone have a pointer towards a fork with active OS X development going on? Also, I'm mildly curious why SDL was chosen over, say, Qt, in that we could pretty easily have a "Qt" platform layout that abstracted over the underlying system a bit more cleanly for windowing / fonts / input / OpenGL contexts.

[edit]
What the heck, I'll give it a shot: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110
LuisAntonRebollo
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by LuisAntonRebollo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:44 am
We decided to use SDL2 becouse was a simple and tested library, VALVE use on all his Linux ports.

In future we need to decide if we use SDL2 in all platforms.
Hutch
by Hutch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:06 pm
The new layer is OpenGL 3.2 IIRC (EDIT: nope, 3.1), though someone is also working on a 2.1 layer - not sure whether this will become official at any point.

That would be me. ;)

Doubt it will be official though, the way I'm doing stuff is more tailored to specific needs. :l
13 posts Page 1 of 2