Torque 3D 3.7 release candidate

22 posts Page 1 of 3
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:33 pm
We're learning from our mistakes, and this time we've decided to have a pre-release for everyone to try to break, before we officially release version 3.7. Of course, there will be some issues present, especially with our Linux and OpenGL support. These features are both currently considered beta - not fully production ready, but getting there! Some of these issues we will endeavor to fix before 3.7, others we will leave as known issues in 3.8.

So, what is it we'd like you to do? On a basic level, it'd be great if you could pop over to our downloads page and grab the release candidate. Make a project, run it, see if things work okay in your system! If you're feeling adventurous, you could even try our new OpenGL rendering backend.

We're really happy to be able to say that with 3.7, official support for Linux is back on the table! Bear in mind that as I said above, we consider this a beta feature, so there will definitely be some issues. We'd love to hear about them, as increasing support and stability is a top goal for 3.8.

Now, we'll follow this up with an official release blog for 3.7 when we actually make the release, after you've all had a little while to poke at the candidate. But till then, here's a quick list of some of the most exciting things you'll find in the new version:

• Linux and OpenGL, obviously!
  • Ribbons!
  • A navmesh editor!
  • Sahara accumulation volumes!
  • PhysX 3!
  • Faster TorqueScript, and anonymous functions!
Johxz
by Johxz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:15 am
Nice! :mrgreen: Thanks!!!!

I was testing the development branch for awhile and is very stable. Good work guys! ;)

BTW I think you need to put here http://wiki.torque3d.org/main:downloads the PM 2.2b (I didn't found any bug)

EDIT: :!:
Torque3D-3.7rc-Win\My Projects\[your_project]\game\main.cs.in (rename to main.cs)
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:59 am
Johxz wrote:Torque3D-3.7rc-Win\My Projects\[your_project]\game\main.cs.in (rename to main.cs)

Oh dear, I did break the PM. Ugh. That's why it's a beta, haha.
Levitator
by Levitator » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:17 am
It builds! It runs! However, there is no sound on Debian Wheezy. During startup, I see this in the console:

SFXSystem::createDevice - created OpenAL device 'OpenAL Soft'
Provider: OpenAL
Device: OpenAL Soft
Hardware: No
Buffers: 16

I hear a brief crackle as this scrolls by, but when playing the demo maps, there is no sound at all. The only other issue I had is that the "rt" system runtime library was not being linked by default, so I was getting undefined references to clock_gettime(). Also, if you go fullscreen at a resolution other than the desktop's, it messes up your desktop on exit, but those are minor issues compared to the sound problem.
LuisAntonRebollo
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by LuisAntonRebollo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:13 am
Hey we are in the way to release....next we need to publish roadmap for T3D 3.8 :P

Thx all for test :)

@
Levitator
, can you post the Linux issues on Github? It's a more controled place for problems. I will try to reproduce this weekend. Thx a review and post your issues.
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:22 pm
After renaming the main.cs most things seem okay after a cursory play around with it.

Only thing which seems a bit odd is this:
tools/gui/guiPlatformGenericMenubar.ed.gui (0): Unable to instantiate non-conobject class GuiPlatformGenericMenuBar.

However there are 11040
Warning: NaN encountered while setting an attribute or value
which is rather a lot! :lol:
Also noticed that textures for objects get a funny warning I don't remember seeing in other versions. Materials still load but noticed the console spam.
Warning: Fixup invalid URI in Turret_D_psd: "file://Turret_D.psd"

Probably nothing to worry about.
Zoom/blur shader gives console spam but that's nothing new.
OpenAL seems fine, think that I'm running installer 2.0.7.0 and dll 6.14.357.24 in system32.
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:33 pm
Giving TsStatics alpha blending to fade out is a really cool idea. 8-)
Steve_Yorkshire

by Steve_Yorkshire » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:49 am
Brought to IRC attention that there's a bug in the editor gui. Collapsing the tools button menu means that you cannot get it to re-expand without shutting down and restarting T3D.

buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:57 am
That was my fault when adding Walkabout I assume, since I touched that, but last I could tell, it was working...
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:53 am
Yeah, that thing pretty much only breaks when a new icon gets added to it. I ran into it once myself. Easy to fix, but it can be a bit finnicky if you don't pay attention to it.

Honestly, it should probably be retooled to not be so spazzy when it changes :P
22 posts Page 1 of 3