Torque3D - What Brings You: An unofficial poll

JeffR

Hey guys,

It came up in IRC discussing that even though T3D isn't "known" as well as Unity or UE4 are, we've still had a slow but steady influx of awesome new people that are at least curious to test the engine out, even if it ends up not working out for them as their main tool.

Obviously as the engine is further modernized on the march to 4.0 this will no doubt pick up as it becomes a more and more viable tool for people used to more standardized workflows, but it did raise the question: How'd you find out about Torque 3D?

We know T3D gets passing mentions around the vast sea of the internet, but that doesn't well inform the places, posts or blogs that piqued your individual interest enough to come join us in our little neck of the woods, so I'm really curious to hear from you guys how you found out about T3D, what made you want to check it out, and if you're one of the old hands rolling back in, what made you remember and want to come check how things have been going?

This sort of info is really useful in figuring out where and how to spread mention of T3D to people that aren't satisfied with the current engine offerings they're aware of and may want to give T3D a try to see if it works for them, so please by all means, elucidate What Brings You. :)

I guess I'm one of the aforementioned "old hands rolling back in." I've been into Torque since TGE 1.3. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Torque, and I've always periodically checked in on the site(s) for news and updates over the years. I've attempted to use Unity and UE4 for my never-get-anywhere game projects, but I always come back to Torque. Being a lone wolf, true indy developer, I truly like the idea of having access to the source and not having to pay huge royalties to another company should I ever complete a game. And now that T3D is open source, I like it even better.

I'm very excited for 4.0. I'm hoping that with it, some of my never-get-anywhere game projects turn into get-somewhere-somehow projects.

Made a 3D model of the Biblical Tabernacle using Blender 2.68 - Looking for a way to walk around and make it more realistic.

Also a somewhat easier way to add background mountains and scenery.

My son is a programmer and suggested Torque3D - awesome!

I guess I'm one of the aforementioned "old hands rolling back in." I've been into Torque since TGE 1.3. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Torque, and I've always periodically checked in on the site(s) for news and updates over the years. I've attempted to use Unity and UE4 for my never-get-anywhere game projects, but I always come back to Torque. Being a lone wolf, true indy developer, I truly like the idea of having access to the source and not having to pay huge royalties to another company should I ever complete a game. And now that T3D is open source, I like it even better.

I'm very excited for 4.0. I'm hoping that with it, some of my never-get-anywhere game projects turn into get-somewhere-somehow projects.

Heyyy, another pre-Synapse Lighting era guy! ;)

Well, if you feel anything pipeline or feature-wise would help you shift from never-get-anywhere to get-somewhere-somehow, feel free to throw some suggestions around, a big focus on 4.0 is the pipeline/workflow side :)

@Shylock

Very interesting! Do you know where your son had come across Torque3D originally?

[mention]JeffR[/mention]

From what I've read in your work blog, it sounds as though 4.0 may solve quite a few things. I like the workflow and user-friendliness of Unity, and it sounds as though 4.0 will be much closer to that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have other ideas, and I'd like to help. Should I take that to a different forum?

@werdna

Yep, the workflow sensibilities definitely come from drawing a ton of notes from stuff people have commented on/wanting to see or thought was lacking, as well as stuff noted from workflows in other engines like UE4, Unity and Cryengine.

Idea being to take note of the stuff that works, while trying to sidestep any odd quirks from any particular specific workflow.

As for ideas you have or the like, feel free to either make a thread on here, or toss an issue up on the github page. If there's particular things you'd like to contribute but want some feedback on or help to commit - or if there's just anything that we need another set of eyes on you'd like to help with, feel free to post the same :)

A long time ago i was looking for a game engine to fiddle around. At first i tried Ogre3d. I really liked the hydrax and skyx

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL02s_MGIQc from it( I like flashy things ). After about 1 year of trying to make something playable in it, i started to look at new engines, UDK was becoming a good alternative, but it was price at that time. After some hours of googling i found the old forum and from there i was hooked on the examples and documentation. There was the old FPS tutorial. I was simply blown out after finishing the tutorial, i made my first game prototype in less then 1h. After that it was love at first sight. And it was free, the engine not the love.