animation of robot arm

flysouth

I have a simple robot arm which consists of a rotating base, a lower arm which is a child of the base and an upper arm which is a child of the lower arm. I created key-frame animation for each section and exported the animation as separate files.

I am now trying to get things to work correctly in T3D with little success.

When I play a lower arm animation it always turns the rotating base to a default position which is not what I want. When I move the upper arm it always moves the base and the lower arm to default positions. I have tried using the Blend feature when creating the sequences in the shape editor, but this does not appear to change anything.

Any help / suggestions will be appreciated.

First be sure for the animation ("blendable" animation) to be tagged as a blend animation. You can change that in the shape editor.

http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-3d/official/content/documentation/World%20Editor/Editors/ShapeEditor.html#Properties_Window

If I remember correctly you need a "root" animation for the Blend sequence. I did that sequence just a pair of frames of all the bones "keyframed" from the starting pose.

The "blendable" animation has the not moving bones the same as how appear for the "root".

Hmm, I don't remember in you have to keyframe all the bones or just the moving bones for the "blendable" animation. I'll check later.

I've checked and it seems how you keyframe doesn't matter but I think I've found your issue.

You need for the threds to be in different slots, that's:

robot.playThread(0, "rotation");

robot.playThread(1, "movearm");

If you use the same slot you destroy the previous animation (rotation in your case) so you don't have a base to blend and just plays the animation.