Making it so the player can look down further

NekoDemon117

Not a silly question. In your PlayerData datablock (check art/datablocks/player.cs) for the following lines:

minLookAngle = "-1.4";
  maxLookAngle = "0.9";   

The min angle is how far up you can look, max angle is how far down, in radians (pi/2 equals ninety degrees). So if you change maxLookAngle to 1.4 you'll look down as far as you can look up.

The next thing you may or may not be concerned about, depending on your application, is rendering the player's body, since now that you're looking straight down you might expect to see your feet. That means setting your renderFirstPerson value to true, but be warned, if you go this route you have probably bitten off some new work for yourself, depending on how your player model and eye camera positions are set up.

You can mess with these values in realtime using the datablock editor, too.

Used the datablock editor and 1.4 works great.

The next thing you may or may not be concerned about, depending on your application, is rendering the player's body, since now that you're looking straight down you might expect to see your feet. That means setting your renderFirstPerson value to true, but be warned, if you go this route you have probably bitten off some new work for yourself, depending on how your player model and eye camera positions are set up.

Thanks for bringing this up. I am not worried about renderFirstPerson right now, but this will be a major part of my project once I make my player model. I haven't learned how to model a character, much less rig or animate yet, so it's going to be a while until I do that.

Anything major I need to worry about during the modeling, rigging, or animating processes, or is it simply a matter of tweaking the player model and eye camera positions to make it look right?

@Duion Great to know. Though 90 degrees isn't a setting I would use for normal gameplay as I still want there to be some pitch limitation (just not a lot), it could come in handy later on for making sure my first-person related models and animations are made and positioned correctly.