How to destroy decal

flysouth

I made some windows that when shot break. The problem is that the default bullet decals stay floating in the air even though the window has been destroyed. Is there a way to prevent the decals from being placed on a specific object? Or perhaps being removed somehow?

I have a similar problem and could not find a solution so far as well other than deactivating decals for objects that can be destroyed.

Decals are just objects with a coordinate in the world I think, the same way you place props in the world, you place them and they are there, minus the object inspector features.

I think the best solution might be to identify the material as one that doesn't use decals at all, while I don't know if it is in the engine or not (I don't use weapons) there is a resource somewhere that implements different decals on different materials, this should include a method to prohibit decals.

Okay after looking in the code I see this is yet another thing that needs C++ code changes to achieve. :cry:

Only TSStatic apears to have a decalType property that allows the decals to be turned off.

The decal system itself is pretty lame. It does not make public any method of finding decals without an ID. The Decalmanager C++ code does contain a getClosestDecal function but it cannot be used by TS.

The more I try to use T3D the more I realize that in its current form even the most basic things require code changes :roll:

I am sure glad I did not have to pay for it or by now I would be pretty p'd @ff

I'm just gonna chime in here and say that when the engine was written people were happy just to have decals working - most didn't bother doing anything besides let the decals fade (like T3D does). Old code is old, bro.

Yes floppy disk were also great back then, but things have changed :lol: