Torque 3.9 OpenGL Crash

Steve_Yorkshire

Not realizing openGL was going to available for windows (thought it was just for Linux) I never bothered testing the RC. But seeing that it was I eventually got CMake working with much help and gave it a whirl out of nothing more than curiousity ... and it crashes on startup.

My ancient rig: core2, 3GB RAM, GTS 250 512mb DX10

Splash screen shows, window with grey background appears, and then crash.

Trying it with SDL was a pain because VS2013 Express doesn't have atlbase.h but eventually after many hours I found an old Win Driver Kit taht had it. Linking the includes and libs VS still couldn't bloody find the file so I just dumped the lot in VS12/VC/include and it finally compiled with SDL. Still crashes mind.

New stuff on the console log:

Program shaders/common/fixedFunction/gl/textureV.glsl / shaders/common/fixedFunction/gl/textureP.glsl: 
'OpenGL_DEBUG.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dxva2.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
OPENGL: GL_INVALID_OPERATION error generated. Invalid draw binding.
First-chance exception at 0x0085FD29 in OpenGL_DEBUG.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Unhandled exception at 0x0085FD29 in OpenGL_DEBUG.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

Full log http://pastebin.com/AFy44YYt

And the stack:

0085fd29()	Unknown
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing]	
 	nvoglv32.dll!69331ede()	Unknown
 	nvoglv32.dll!6933020a()	Unknown
 	nvoglv32.dll!68b728e3()	Unknown
>	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!get_dispatch_table() Line 115020	C
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!epoxy_glDrawArrays_dispatch_table_thunk(unsigned int mode, int first, int count) Line 109269	C
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GFXGLDevice::drawPrimitive(GFXPrimitiveType primType, unsigned int vertexStart, unsigned int primitiveCount) Line 599	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GFXDrawUtil::drawBitmapStretchSR(GFXTextureObject * texture, const RectF & dstRect, const RectF & srcRect, const GFXBitmapFlip in_flip, const GFXTextureFilterType filter, bool in_wrap) Line 417	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GFXDrawUtil::drawBitmapStretch(GFXTextureObject * texture, const RectF & dstRect, const GFXBitmapFlip in_flip, const GFXTextureFilterType filter, bool in_wrap) Line 342	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GFXDrawUtil::drawBitmapStretch(GFXTextureObject * texture, const RectI & dstRect, const GFXBitmapFlip in_flip, const GFXTextureFilterType filter, bool in_wrap) Line 313	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GuiBitmapCtrl::onRender(Point2I offset, const RectI & updateRect) Line 210	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GuiFadeinBitmapCtrl::onRender(Point2I offset, const RectI & updateRect) Line 159	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GuiCanvas::renderFrame(bool preRenderOnly, bool bufferSwap) Line 1858	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GuiCanvas::handlePaintEvent(unsigned int did) Line 357	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!fastdelegate::FastDelegate1::operator()(unsigned int p1) Line 989	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!Signal::trigger(unsigned int a) Line 669	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!Journal::Call,unsigned int>(Signal * obj, void (unsigned int) * method, unsigned int a) Line 634	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!JournaledSignal::trigger(unsigned int a) Line 81	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!GuiCanvas::paint() Line 1588	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!fastdelegate::FastDelegate0::operator()() Line 904	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!Signal::trigger() Line 651	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!Process::processEvents() Line 101	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!StandardMainLoop::doMainLoop() Line 625	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!TorqueMain(int argc, const char * * argv) Line 315	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!run(int argc, const char * * argv) Line 337	C++
 	OpenGL_DEBUG.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, char * lpszCmdLine, int __formal) Line 395	C++
 	[External Code]

and in image format for easier reading:

http://i.imgur.com/EqguXF1.png

http://i.imgur.com/EqguXF1.png

If this helps anyone ... :cry:

Downloaded VS2015Community.

Successfully got it build and run in SDL debug.

Still crashes in release at same place, so can't call a stack. :(

Console log, seems same as before: http://pastebin.com/14RNUqQ7

EDIT still does crash in non-SDL debug.

Program shaders/common/fixedFunction/gl/textureV.glsl / shaders/common/fixedFunction/gl/textureP.glsl: 
'OpenGL_DEBUG.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dxva2.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
OPENGL: GL_INVALID_OPERATION error generated. Invalid draw binding.
Exception thrown at 0x0353FDE9 in OpenGL_DEBUG.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

Stack looks the same as before.

http://i.imgur.com/FeANlyh.png

Just to note: running in SDL tilde/console is the "normal console key" under ESC on my non-US keyboard whilst non SDL (and all previous versions of T3D) it's the key that says tilde (next to return on UK keyboard layout).

I'm not familiar with that error.... What options are you using in CMake?? is a clean template right?

From CMake try deleting your cache, from file menu, then select SDL again. I can compile release or debug and selecting all options from cmake without issue.

And from VS2015 do the same, clean your cache/project. Maybe something from the past compile is still there.

http://i.imgur.com/bezWyZs.png

Yeah I notice the "normal console key".

I tested the release exe in the binaries and that gave confirmation of the crash, so at least I know it's not my building that's the issue here. So it looks like SDL bootstraps something to get OpenGL to work on my GPU (I'm guessing it's gpu?).

Incidentally, whilst the most modern Nvidia driver is 368.81, the GTS 250 had it's driver updates discontinued at 341.95. Still doesn't explain working with SDL but not without it though. :x