Torsion worth it?

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
saindd
by saindd » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:28 am
Is Torsion worth the money? Is it still supported? Is there a better alternative for T3D programming, with support for debugging?
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 pm
It's not supported, and haven't been updated for a while. I think it's worth the money if you are gonna do a lot of TorqueScripting, but you can live without it.

There are some alternatives here but afaik, Torsion is still the best option for scripting.
saindd
by saindd » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:56 am
I have noticed that you developed TorqueSense. Do you intend to add debugging?
Johxz
by Johxz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:32 am
Ron Kapaun wrote:Gotta chime in on this since I have been using Torque Dev for YEARS. Never bought torsion, or any other scripting tool for T3D (or torque anything for that matter). I whole heartedly LOVE the idea of Torque Dev.
LukasPJ
Site Admin

by LukasPJ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:48 am
@
saindd
not in any foreseeable future, I was planning to, but I haven't worked on it for a while, and now I'm working with C# so I don't have a use for it atm :P

But yeah, try out TorqueDev, it's open source too.
buckmaster
Steering Committee
Steering Committee
by buckmaster » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:13 pm
Vim all the way!
Johxz
by Johxz » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:29 pm
Emacs FTW!

Of course it have a command to game develop with T3D :roll:

M-x package-refresh-contents
M-x package-list-packages
C-s torque3d [enter] [i] [x]
Install package `torque3d'? (yes or no) [yes]

You're ready to go... :o

M-x torque3d-mode :ugeek:
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:53 am
WAAAT??

There's a TorqueScript package for Emacs??? But of course there is. Will be trying that out, thanks for the tip!
Johxz
by Johxz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:31 pm
chriscalef wrote:WAAAT??

There's a TorqueScript package for Emacs??? But of course there is. Will be trying that out, thanks for the tip!

:lol: I was kidding :lol: sorry! https://xkcd.com/378/ did not know that someone used Emacs here :mrgreen: good to know!

Anyway... if you really want to use Emacs you can. TorqueScript work very well with C# mode.

You can have a IDE with Emacs. Download the last version of Emacs, Install prelude http://batsov.com/prelude/

Then I recommend to install this for a IDE. My personal opinion, I used this for C++ programming on Linux.

M-x package-install RET
yasnippet
auto-complete
auto-complete-c-headers
multiple-cursors
ecb
flycheck
cede (built-in)
cmake-mode (You need to have cmake installed in your OS)
cpputils-cmake
omnisharp (with intellisense) or if you want only a mode you can install csharp-mode.
magit (control Git from Emacs)

So, I think I cover everything to work with Torque 3D from Emacs ;) :ugeek:

Regards,
John
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 pm
Ha ha, you got me. It's gotten to the point where I'll believe anything about Emacs. I've used it for years and years, by now I mostly only use it for writing notes to myself and for editing any text file that doesn't already have its own dedicated IDE, but yeah, damn I love it. The one thing I think I love above all else is the way I can effortlessly split and split and split the screen into as many frames as I need. I've had times where I was designing whole class hierarchies and had fourteen frames open. Get so tired of clicking on tabs and not being able to see everything at once in literally every single other IDE I've ever tried. :-P
15 posts Page 1 of 2