Any good tutorials for character modelling/importing?

Crystalwarrior

It seems that the default Soldier Guy model is a bad learning resource, at least according to Duion.

So, does anyone have any good tutorials, suggestions, etc. for getting a completely customized character model in-game?

I am using Blender and I couldn't find anything concise as for what should I do to make a character from scratch.

Just use makehuman and depending how much work you want to make for yourself start replacing the basemesh with your own parts.

My paintball player is made that way, I used a makehuman basemesh and then modeled my own stuff around and deleted the inside model, only parts left original from makehuman are the hands and the shoes.

http://www.moddb.com/games/uebergame/images/paintball-player-skins-preview

After that I animated him using reference sheets for animators, just search for that, but most is just try and error.

Yeah, I got him in-game, the problem now is how to handle animations.

Ideally I would like it to split animations into sequences instead of having a single "ambient" sequence if that's even possible.

I'm using BetterCollada exporter atm

EDIT: Alright got it, "export all actions" and "export animations" seem to do the trick. Still would like to know how the soldier model separates animations from the actual model though!

You point to a file in script and define the track.

For example for my playermodel it is like this:

%this.addSequence("ambient", "run", "62", "83", "1", "0");

This means use the ambient sequence and use frame 62 to 83 for run animation, I have all animations on the same track.

If oyu want them separate, do it as the soldier model does it, export every animation into a separate file, then you do it the same way, except you do not need to specify the frames to use.