Oh, this again - conflict over "StringTable" between T3D and PhysX

Expanding and utilizing the engine via C++.
60 posts Page 4 of 6
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:35 am
Okay, last thing to bug you with, I hope: where does PhysicsShape get defined as a type for the WorldEditor? I'm running Full, and have RigidShape and everything else, do I need to include a physics script somewhere?
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:11 am
Ah, there it is. I had the right objectBuilderGui.ed.gui, but I had to make a physicsShape.cs file up in art/datablocks/ to define a PhysicsShapeData, and then I had to include that file in datablockExec.cs, and NOW I can actually drop a physx3 box into the world!

Now, off to start porting the rest of my code. If I ever see you at a conference I owe you many beers! Definitely would have been in a bad way here without you!!
Last edited by chriscalef on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timmy
by Timmy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:14 am
haha no worries chris. I'll try and get all this in the official repo in the future, it will cut the required steps right down.
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:05 pm
Hey @
Timmy
, sorry to bug you again... and this one is entirely coming from my code, because I know I didn't have this problem before I did my mega merge... but I was just wondering if you have any thoughts as to what I might have messed up. Since moving to Physx3 from 2.8 I've been having a long and complex battle with the finer settings, trying to get joints and collisions working - when I started things were straight falling through the floor, and joints were terrible, but I got most of my problems beaten into submission in my last build. However, now that I've dragged everything forward to current T3D HEAD and PhysX 3.3.4, my joints are still doing pretty good but my collisions seem to have gone away entirely. When I set a box on the ground and let it go dynamic, it falls right through the floor, or another box, and my ragdoll falls right through boxes and floor without slowing down or showing any sign of contact. I _think_ the ragdoll parts are successfully colliding against each other, but it could just be the joint limits giving that impression.

Anyway, like I said, nothing coming from any code you worked on, I'm sure it's operator error on my part, but if there's any settings or anything you can think of that would cause this behavior I'd be all ears. I can see the groundplane in debug render, and on the empty terrain map I can see the ground mesh, so I know PhysX knows about the objects... it just completely fails to collide them. In my first test before I ported in all my work, I did drop a box on the hill and it stopped and rolled down the hill, and in my old build I also had terrain collision working (mostly) fine. Very curious what I could have done to cause this one. :-p
Timmy
by Timmy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:48 pm
If you can verify with physics debug that all objects definitely have a physics representation and you can actually see that representation going through other objects with the debugger on, it's highly likely an issue with groups. I would be connecting to a PVD session first to 100% verify everything is where it should be in physics world before looking any further
chriscalef
by chriscalef » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:58 pm
Hm, yeah okay, I'll try that. I can see the actors in debug render inside Torque, but haven't gone to PVD yet. But yeah, the whole filters and groups thing confuses the heck out of me.

EDIT: Hm, I get an assert when trying to run PVD, in PvdDataStream.cpp, line 638, assert failed on isInstanceValid( instance ).

But anyway, gotta go AFK for a while, so I guess this might be where I have to leave it for a bit. At least the rest of my merge went pretty well!
Timmy
by Timmy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:47 am
With PVD you have to run in debug mode or if release, pretty sure you gotta link against the checked lib/dlls as the pvd stuff in full release mode is disabled(for performance reasons i'm guessing). If you can verify everything is where it should be, yeah it's gotta be the filters/groups.
deathbravo
by deathbravo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:01 pm
hi, anybody merged Timmy's & Andrew's advanced physx cloth into 3.9?
I tried it but lockParticleData at line 315 of px3ClothShape.cpp returns data with invalid particle array, crashes the program.
I tried step by step F10 trace the engine running, to ensure the vertices of cloth mesh passed in to createCloth properly.
and the mesh is Andrew's flag model.
Timmy
by Timmy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:24 am
I wouldn't bother with it, i deleted the branch as it is been deprecated in the upcoming physx 3.4 and they encourage everyone to use flex https://developer.nvidia.com/flex for similar functionality.
60 posts Page 4 of 6