Spherical Terrain in T3D

Expanding and utilizing the engine via C++.
21 posts Page 2 of 3
JackStone
by JackStone » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:02 pm
Oh, that's fantastic, thank you!

I had a look through your project, it looks great! You obviously spent a massive amount of time on this!

I hope that I will be able to find some information in there about how to correct the issues I have been having with spherical terrain, thanks again!

I think I underestimated the sheer amount of time it takes to get anywhere with virtual worlds, even with my best estimates!
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:38 pm
Nah, it's not mine. But I'd found it many years back and nabbed a copy because I thought it was incredible(the creator was awesome enough to do the full source with it). Kept a copy of it just in case planet rendering ever came up.

But yeah, definitely a lot of work to get something so big to render. Having ANY examples should help at least better hash things out though.
JackStone
by JackStone » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:14 am
Oh, sorry, I thought it was yours!

But yeah, it's a huge project. I think I'll get there eventually though!
paulmm123
by paulmm123 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 pm
JeffR wrote:Hey Jack, as promised in irc, I dug up that old solar system sim engine I had a copy of.

The code is oooooold, but it could give you some ideas on how to tackle things. You'd have to modernize the render code, but the basics for setup should carry across:

http://ghc-games.com/public/iue.zip

WOW, nice code Thank!!!
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:54 am
This just recently got posted in /r/gamedev and it looks super awesome:

https://github.com/sp4cerat/Planet-LOD

"This is a simple example of how to render a planet with spherical LOD in less than 100 lines of c++ code"
JackStone
by JackStone » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 pm
Yes, I came across something like this a little while ago, it's amazing how easy it is when you know what you're doing!
I think I am finally getting there with this though, I am just about to implement a midpoint displacement algorithm, hopefully that will go well.
JeffR
Steering Committee
Steering Committee

by JeffR » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:44 am
Yeah, I tend to get a bit envious of people that have such a solid grasp of the maths like that. They can put out some really elegant code.

Keep us updated about how it goes, spherical terrain is always cool to see in action.
JackStone
by JackStone » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:28 am
Yeah, I've been posting regular updates on my blog, I *think* I am making some decent progress! Although, I have said that many times before!

Is this the type of thing that would be useful as a T3D feature? Or is it too niche? Spherical Terrain, I suppose, isn't something that most people would really need...
SqHd
by SqHd » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:23 pm
Would spherical terrain work the same as regular terrain? Ex. collision, placement of objects, terra-forming, scatter sky, etc.
Bc it would be cool to have the ability to create an entire open WORLD!
I wonder how long it would take to drive the Cheetah all the way around... :D
JackStone
by JackStone » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:08 pm
Spherical Terrain would work exactly the same as regulare terrain with regards to collision and object placement, and terrain deformation too.

Adding skyboxes and oceans would be different though, since the terrain would be spherical, so a flat ocean plane or sky box wouldn't work.
21 posts Page 2 of 3