I need biginner help

fLUnKnhaXYU

]Hi Im a new member ,

I have no experience in using a compiler , but , some interest in learning what is necessary for compiling the T3D engine . My OS is windows 7 and at this time im interested in just building something for that platform . I have no desire to install tons of unnecessary software , thus , this post is really about determining the possibility of using CODE::BLOCKS mingw G++ as the compiler as I am under the impression that its really quite good .

so , this is what I found in the beginner forum concerning code::blocks

Running command: S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f "S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild/Makefile"  VERBOSE=1 all
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -HS:\dev\Torque3D-development -BS:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild --check-build-system CMakeFiles\Makefile.cmake 0
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_start S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles\progress.marks
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f CMakeFiles\Makefile2 all
mingw32-make.exe[1]: Entering directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\build.make Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/depend
mingw32-make.exe[2]: Entering directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_depends "MinGW Makefiles" S:\dev\Torque3D-development S:\dev\Torque3D-development\Tools\CMake S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\DependInfo.cmake --color=
mingw32-make.exe[2]: Leaving directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\build.make Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/build
mingw32-make.exe[2]: Entering directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_report S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles 
[  0%] 
Building CXX object Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/__/__/Engine/lib/collada/src/1.4/dom/domAccessor.cpp.obj
cd /d S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake && S:\dev\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\g++.exe   -DDOM_INCLUDE_TINYXML -DPCRE_STATIC -DUNICODE -D_UNICODE -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS /MP /O2 /Ob2 /Oi /Ot /Oy /GT /Zi /W4 /nologo /GF /EHsc /GS- /Gy- /Qpar- /fp:fast /fp:except- /GR /Zc:wchar_t- /arch:SSE2 -wd4800 -wd4018 -wd4244 -g /EHsc @CMakeFiles/collada.dir/includes_CXX.rsp   /W0 -o CMakeFiles\collada.dir\__\__\Engine\lib\collada\src\1.4\dom\domAccessor.cpp.obj -c S:\dev\Torque3D-development\Engine\lib\collada\src\1.4\dom\domAccessor.cpp
g++.exe: error: /MP: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /O2: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Ob2: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Oi: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Ot: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Oy: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /GT: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Zi: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /W4: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /nologo: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /GF: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /EHsc: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /GS-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Gy-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Qpar-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /fp:fast: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /fp:except-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /GR: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /Zc:wchar_t-: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /arch:SSE2: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /EHsc: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: /W0: No such file or directory
g++.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-wd4800'
g++.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-wd4018'
g++.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-wd4244'
mingw32-make.exe[2]: *** [Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/__/__/Engine/lib/collada/src/1.4/dom/domAccessor.cpp.obj] Error 1
mingw32-make.exe[1]: *** [Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/all] Error 2
mingw32-make.exe: *** [all] Error 2
mingw32-make.exe[2]: Leaving directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
mingw32-make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
Process terminated with status 2 (0 minute(s), 2 second(s))
22 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 2 second(s))

I am requesting that some post some example/s from a successful compile which might show the non existing directories and files .

to sum up this noobish mess , I simply am wondering if what is missing can simply be added to the necessary libraries or whether some part of the project should be ommited , etc

Hope that wasnt a too exhausting read to digest . thank you for your time and patience .

this has been posted in begginner forum as well .

Thank you both , Duion and Jason Cambell ,

Jason , Thats what I am thinking , or some need for certain directories that arent present . i havent tried to compile the engine yet . Im reluctant to install vs 2015 community as I have read that it is difficult if not impossible to uninstall on windows 7 .

Duion , Thats what I do , Im totally about editing using the precompiled versions . Id like to add though , at least a couple things seem imminent . The desire for physics , something like openstreet map terrain modification , and I just noticed the open cv with its motion track and things , so I think itd be a good idea to try and catch on if possible , whereas these kind of things may become acquirable .

Thank you both again .

I think learning to compile early is a very good idea. That deeper understanding goes a long way. Once your project is set up, you can make an engine change, compile and drop that executable into your game folder and that's it. Torque can be finicky but honestly, it has ruined me for other game engines. Wish I could help more but I am completely done with Windows. Maybe try just an openGL build?

Jason , I totally agree with you , I find your comment "has ruined me for other game engines " very interesting and hope to experience some of that "deeper" torque power . I believe it exists and Im rooting for the T3D success . I was surprised by the openGL performance and honestly hadnt seen anything quite like it . I find the Vulcan API developement to be exciting and am am looking forward to seeing Linux game developement benefit from such projects . I do prefer to choose openGL and multiplatform , now if I can just resolve this dilehmma and move forward . Thanks , Jason , youve been a great help .

I'll admit that I haven't used Code::Blocks at all except on linux. On windows pretty much everyone uses Visual Studio since the Community edition is free, haha.

Did you generate the projects using the cmake commandline? or the gui? I personally find the gui a lot harder to screw up. I've tried using the commandline but it tends to be too annoying to remember the right commands for something I use for like 5 minutes and then don't bother with again :P

That said...

"error: /O2: No such file or directory"

/O2 is an otimization flag, and all those other 'not found file or directories' are also compiler flags. If it's treating them as files or dirs, then it's definitely something going on with either cmake or codeblocks' setup.

Mind posting the config you've used for cmake and the project properties in codeblocks?

Hello , JeffR , thank you for your attention to this ,

First , Id like to let you know that Im not a developer with some technical issue .

Im a beginner and want to determine if I can use code::blocks on windows 7 to compile T3D . Sorry that I didnt make it clear that I got the code from a previous post made in December 2015

forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=485&hilit=codeblocks#p4111

Ive seen that some problem/s had existed between cmake and code::blocks , for torue 3D , on windows and , there doesnt seem to be many posts related to the use of code::blocks on windows in these forums (Ill do a search for mingw or something) . Here , I am just wondering if those problems have been resolved and/or perhaps there could be some other reason for the failure in the case shown in the code . I Dont mean to divert any real production time around here but i am looking for the minimal path to the goal of compiling T3D on windows and Im not sure whether or not it is possible to use anything lighter than vs studio (community) at the same price .:)

again , Thank you .

This is all that I can locate here . I dont comprehend any of it so I cant determine if it was from the command line or within the GUI . Its from the same code printed above .

Running command: S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f "S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild/Makefile"  VERBOSE=1 all
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -HS:\dev\Torque3D-development -BS:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild --check-build-system CMakeFiles\Makefile.cmake 0
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_start S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles\progress.marks
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f CMakeFiles\Makefile2 all
mingw32-make.exe[1]: Entering directory `S:/dev/Torque3D-development/WindowsBuild'
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\build.make Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/depend
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_depends "MinGW Makefiles" S:\dev\Torque3D-development S:\dev\Torque3D-development\Tools\CMake S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\DependInfo.cmake --color=
S:/dev/CodeBlocks/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe -f Tools\CMake\CMakeFiles\collada.dir\build.make Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/build
S:\.dev\cmake-3.1.0-rc2-win32-x86\bin\cmake.exe -E cmake_progress_report S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\CMakeFiles 
[  0%] 
Building CXX object Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/collada.dir/__/__/Engine/lib/collada/src/1.4/dom/domAccessor.cpp.obj
cd /d S:\dev\Torque3D-development\WindowsBuild\Tools\CMake && S:\dev\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\g++.exe   -DDOM_INCLUDE_TINYXML -DPCRE_STATIC -DUNICODE -D_UNICODE -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS /MP /O2 /Ob2 /Oi /Ot /Oy /GT /Zi /W4 /nologo /GF /EHsc /GS- /Gy- /Qpar- /fp:fast /fp:except- /GR /Zc:wchar_t- /arch:SSE2 -wd4800 -wd4018 -wd4244 -g /EHsc @CMakeFiles/collada.dir/includes_CXX.rsp   /W0 -o CMakeFiles\collada.dir\__\__\Engine\lib\collada\src\1.4\dom\domAccessor.cpp.obj -c S:\dev\Torque3D-development\Engine\lib\collada\src\1.4\dom\domAccessor.cpp

I never got T3D building on Windows with mingw or the like.

Last I tried, it had a bunch of settings in the code where it was assuming that "if on Windows, then Visual C++ Compiler", so it wouldn't compile with anything other than Visual C++ Compiler (VCC?). Was that ever fixed? Otherwise, that might very well cause quite a few issues.

I'd say either fix that or try using Visual C++ Compiler through CodeBlocks, if you don't have the time / knowledge to hunt down these build issues.

http://landinghub.visualstudio.com/visual-cpp-build-tools