Looping Animation Stutters Due To First Frame Copied Over Last

Steve_Yorkshire

Found an issue with looping animations. Torque copies the first key frame and then pastes it over the last - thus causing that duplicated frame to play twice and cause a stutter in the animation. If you change the first or last key frames in the shapeEditor, it just updates the last frame again. :roll:

In case anyone wants a look, here's a looping animated dts file: http://www.yorkshirerifles.com/downloads/loopProblem.zip. In shapeEditor the first and last frames are the same. If you pause the animation, move to the beginning of the animation, deselect "loop", then move to the end you will see that the frames are not the same. Re-enable loop and the first frame gets copied back to the end.

I've had a look in the source in ts/tsAnimate and ts/tsThread but haven't been able to find where this is duplication is being set. Any pointers appreciated. :?:

I think I had that issue before. I'll have to test later.

If I remember correctly what I did with blender is to change the start frame from "1" to "0". Then the first pair of frames I left as "root" and used the rest for the animations (looping or not).

I suspect that extra frame is needed for the number of frames to be correct for posterior loops or something.

My player character starts at frame 1, since frame 0 I made the root position and all animations are on the same timeline behind each other, but I could not notice looping issues.

My walking, crouching, running animations are just 20-30 frames or so and you would clearly notice if one frame was off.

Dropping key frames from export does not make a difference. Torque copies the first frame of animation to the last. Happens with the stock soldier animations as well. Load soldier up in shapeEditor and choose backwards (or any looping animation), press pause and check the first and last frame and they are the same. Deselect looping and check first and last again and you will see that they are now different.